Monday, July 3, 2017

Sweet Redemption


Image result for redemption


Redemptive.   A friend, unbeknownst to her, recently reminded me that this is the perfect word to describe the past year of my life.   I keep staring at the word, letting it roll around in my head.   Every form of it is beautiful to me.   Redeem.  Redemption.  Redemptive.  Redeemer.  My heart has gone through this slow but life-giving process; a process that I never had hope would happen.

Twelve months ago, my view of the church establishment or organized religion was bleak at best.  I wholeheartedly proclaim to follow the way of Jesus, but I’d lost hope that the church as a whole could ever pull themselves together enough to represent Him well.   I looked around me and saw nothing but indifference, immaturity, selfishness, pride, and self-righteous thinking.  And for whatever reason, it felt like all this indifference and immaturity and selfishness was directly affecting me, making my life a living hell.   This wasn’t a new thing; I’d experienced glimpses of this cynicism over the course of my entire life.   But it had become too much to bear, and I seriously considered walking away from the church institution.  

I keep trying to put my finger on when change started happening.   But it’s like trying to remember falling asleep or waking up… sometimes it happens so slowly, so gradually, that you don’t even notice when the process has started, or when it’s complete.   Maybe the process started when one of the most genuine pastors I have ever met decided to take me under his wing; decided to take responsibility for this broken, cynical, beat up kid who was trying to make heads or tails of the church.   Maybe it started when a friend looked me in the eye and shed a tear over the hurt that I was feeling.   Maybe it started when a person who hurt me came to me with a genuine apology, a genuine sense of regret, and I finally let her words hit my heart. 

I don’t know when it started.   But in every sense of the word, redemption was taking place.   I was sure of it.  Broken things were being restored.  Wrongfully forgotten things were being rightfully remembered.  And hope, however slowly, was coming alive in me.  I have a personality that lends itself to constant internal struggle and tension.   I’m an “idealistic pessimist”.   I have all these pie-in-the-sky ideas.   I have dreams of grandeur.   I daydream of a utopian, mission-filled church.    But in the midst of all that, I have little hope that any of it would ever happen, because humanity is one giant failure.   So I’m essentially left feeling defeated and deflated and disgusted.  It’s a vicious cycle, but I’ve learned to embrace it.  

And maybe this redemption is just part of the cycle.  I hope not… it doesn’t feel like part of the cycle.   It feels different.  The type of hope I have feels pure, real, God-given.   Wherever it’s come from, I have it. It's here now.   I have this burning hope and expectancy of what the church can become.   I’ve seen the tiniest evidences of it.   I’ve seen what can happen when people let go of their pride for a second.  I’ve experienced first-hand what can happen when, just for a moment, we decide that it doesn’t matter who’s right, or who’s wrong, or who hurt who first.   I’ve seen what can happen when a few people look at humility like it’s not an option, but like it’s the only way to live.   And that breathes hope into me.  

That, to me, is the very purpose of the church.   Yeah, I know the Holy Spirit is the One who essentially fills us with hope.  But it’s the church who reminded me of it.  It’s the church who has been speaking life back into me.   It’s the church who picked up this pathetic excuse of a Christ-follower and gave me a second – or tenth – chance.   It’s the church who put up with my anger, cynicism, and bitterness, and listened and stayed with me as they watched it all melt away.  Little did I know, the church is the reason all the anger, cynicism, and bitterness was melting in the first place.  


I’m awake now.  I’m not in the fog; the gray space between wake and sleep, dream and consciousness.   I’m fully awake, and I see redemption all around me.  I see redemption in me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment