Saturday, April 11, 2020

My Very Un-Political Post















"The Spirit teaches me to yield my will entirely to the will of the Father.  He discovers to me how union with God's will is union with God Himself; how entire surrender to God's will is the Father's claim, the Son's example, and the true blessedness of the soul." 
 -Andrew Murray

“Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.     - Mark 10:20-22



It's April 11, 2020.  Tomorrow is Easter Sunday.   The nation and the world are in the middle of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.   Just a few days ago the governor of Michigan extended the executive orders.   For three weeks Michigan residents were issued a "Shelter in Place" order.    We could go to stores, travel freely, and purchase take out food.  Schools have been closed for four weeks now in an attempt to slow the spread of this virus.

But on Monday there was a tightening of those executive orders. Restrictions have been placed on what I can purchase.  Someone else has decided what is "essential" for me to buy or what services I receive.   Groceries, essential.    Bug spray, not essential.   McDonalds, essential.   Vegetable seeds, not essential.  Fuel, essential.  My annual physical checkup, not essential.  

Like I promised, this is not a political post.  So stay with me...  I have my own personal thoughts, opinions, and response to these executive orders, but I'm not using this platform for that purpose. 

The thing that interests me so much is that people were, for the most part, okay with the executive orders last week.  They had "partial freedom."  For all intents and purposes their comfort level wasn't affected.   But a line was crossed for them this week.  I think everyone has their own line.  For some it was being denied the right to travel to their second home that they rightfully own.   For others it was being denied the right to complete their home improvement projects that they had started when they were laid off work a few weeks ago.   For some it's the continued restriction on gathering sizes, forbidding them to congregate and worship, especially on Easter weekend, the signature holiday of Christianity.  People are coming out of the woodwork (mostly on social media because that's the primary source of communication we have right now), loudly declaring "the governor has gone too far!"... "Our constitution is being violated!"... You get the idea.  People are ticked.  They're fighting mad.  They're willing to give up some rights, at least temporarily.  But they're not willing to give up this many rights.   In the minds of many, what is being asked of us - demanded of us - is inappropriate.  

And as I think about all the people who are voicing their frustration about this, I've decided that I do the same thing with God.   In the words of James 1:8, "My loyalty is divided between God and the world, and I am unstable in everything I do". As Easter approaches I think of the example Jesus gave us when He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane as His arrest, beating, and death grew closer.  "Not my will but yours be done, Father."   His was a model of complete surrender to God, a complete relinquishment of all His rights, even His right to live.  He didn't submit to an executive order, but to the will of a Good Father who asks us to lay down all our rights so that we could know the Way of Surrender.  As counter-intuitive as that sounds, the Way of Surrender is the best way because it forces us toward God.   


But I respond to God just like some people are responding to executive orders.  I'm okay with a "reasonable" amount of surrender to God.   Yes I can stop swearing, be nicer to people, and attend church on a semi-regular basis.  Heck, I'll even pray and read my Bible.  That's appropriate and acceptable.    But to surrender my money?   To surrender that hurt that I experienced all those years ago?   To surrender my dreams and goals?  To surrender my anger and unforgiveness toward that person? To surrender my sexuality?  To surrender my right to control?!?!   Who does God think He is?!?!?   

Well, He's God.  

And much like the Rich Young Ruler (see the scripture above), I sometimes think that God goes too far in demanding things from me.  The Rich Young Ruler followed all the important rules.   I do that too.    He even ran to Jesus and fell at His feet.   I do that too.  He asked the hard question of "How can I inherit eternal life?".  I ask Jesus the hard questions too.  But like the Rich Young Ruler, sometimes the answer makes me sad.   Jesus' answer is that we have to give up everything.  The point of that story in Mark 10 isn't that you have to give up your money.   No, the point is much bigger than that.   The point is that God is asking you to give up all your rights.  

For me it's the right to be right.   The right to be treated fairly.  The right to have the things that I've worked for. The right to be respected.  The right to be compensated for my "spiritual work."    

I can only assume that I'm starting to step on toes.  But in God's economy I believe that relinquishing rights isn't a bad thing.  It's actually a marvelous, freedom-giving thing!   I know that sounds backwards, that relinquishing rights can bring freedom.    But if Romans 6 is true (I believe it is) then I'm actually a spiritual slave when I hold onto to all my rights.  Here's what Romans 6:16-18 says:

"Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living.  Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living."

So throw politics out the window.  I'm speaking to you in spiritual terms right now.   What are you a slave to?   What are you choosing to obey?   Are you holding onto your own rights, your own stuff?   Or are you a slave to "righteous living?"   Are your loyalties divided between God and the world?   Or is your heart focused on serving Him well?  Are you unstable in everything you do?    Or are you standing firm on His Truth and believing that surrendering your will and your rights is truly the best thing to do?  

My prayer for you - and for me - this Easter is that we would wave a white flag of surrender and give up all our rights, all our will.  That we would wholeheartedly obey His teaching and become free to live as slaves of righteousness.     

1 comment: